Skip to content

Latest Accomplishment: Making Yogurt in a Crockpot

dsc_0052nef.jpgI’m really stoked!  I successfully made yogurt in a crockpot!  It was so easy and it actually worked.  Reasons I get so excited about this yogurt recipe are:

• I don’t need a yogurt maker, just my crockpot that I already own.
  • It’s easy and I don’t need a thermometer to check whether the temperature is right or not.
  • It’s cheap because all I need is milk and 1/2 cup of store bought yogurt as a yogurt starter.
  • It tastes yummy and my kids love it.
  • I can use whole milk to fatten up my skinny little baby.
  • The yogurt is more runny compared to store bought ones, but my kids don’t mind.  They used straws to drink up their yogurt so forget about Danimals drinkable yogurt.  We have our homemade ones without all the extra sweeteners and artificial stuff.
  • I tried making yogurt using other methods in the past and in my opinion, the crockpot method is lot easier and hassle free.

So, are you interested in making your own yogurt now?  If so, here’s the crockpot recipe!  Happy yogurt making.

Posted in Homemaking.

9 Responses

1. Petrie Montgomery says

Great idea! And acutally, I prefer the runny yogurt. In Europe all the yogurt is runnier than it is here; yogurt here is almost like a gel and I think it feels kinda icky. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I’ll definitely try it.

2. The Motts says

Hi Lois! This is how we’ve been making our yogurt since my old yogurt maker stopped working. If you want to flavor your yogurt, you can add thawed frozen fruit that you’ve run through the blender. It will be liquidy enough to just stir into your bowls of yogurt and add a little extra flavor.

3. Yaz says

mmm, I dunno if I’ll be making yogurt anytime soon, but that slow-cooker blog is GOLD. =)

4. Lois says

April, thanks for the tip. You’re such a pro. I just discovered this new yogurt making technique, but you’ve been doing it for a while!

5. estella says

ooh! since Bryan took that White Elephant maker….the rest of us potential yogurt makers still have hope! thanks!

6. Kim Jones says

We’ve been making our crock-pot yogurt for a while now and love it too (why do you think we gave that crummy old yogurt maker to Brian anyway :0) If ever you want thicker yogurt you can add powdered milk when you add the yogurt (it’ll fatten your skinny baby up even more too :0)

7. Lois says

Kim – How much powdered milk do I add? I’m using 1/2 gal. of milk for each batch.

8. Kim Jones says

I usually make 10 cups at a time and add about 1 cup of powdered milk, but I’m not too exact. For 1/2 gallon I’d start with 1/2 cup,see how it looks and go from there. It comes out lumpy but a good whisking makes it nice and smooth 🙂

Continuing the Discussion

1. Musings of the Dings » Homemade Greek Style Yogurt linked to this post on 9 February, 2011

[…] while ago I successfully made yogurt in the crockpot.  I was very elated when the yogurt formed.  How fun and exciting it was to eat homemade […]

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.

eight − 7 =